Thursday, November 5, 2009

lynn in love with risotto

risotto_001

Hey guys, so I had my first shift of my new job on Tuesday and the next one tonight. I had to say it was really really hard to go back to work. It was also really hard to be responsible for that many patients at one given time. And it was even harder to try to get adjusted to the new computer system the hospital was using. I finished up yesterday morning walking out trying not to freak out that I signed up to do this for the rest of the year.

BUT it was just the first shift after 4 months of not working, and I knew it was going to hard. And so I'm just going to be hopeful that it's gonna get better. That being said... as much as I want to keep up with blogging and post every weekday, I have to warn you that my posting will likely be a little spotty as I get adjusted to my new schedule.

The husband is a complete sweetheart. Knowing how tough it was going to be for me that night, he came back to the hospital after a long day of work just to keep me company and to give me computer support. He even packed me a little baggie of dinner and all sorts of sustenance that really helped me get through the night. Yesterday, I just felt reminded how blessed I am and how happy that God found me the best and most thoughtful husband ever!

So... after waking up yesterday evening, I felt that he deserved to have a warm hot dinner when he got home. We already had some Italian sausage in the fridge and so I found a recipe for Italian sausage risotto online and went on to make it. I've never made risotto before and found it to be super easy! It turned out pretty good and I'm excited to have a new recipe in my arsenal.

Next time, I think I will try making a truffle risotto... Doesn't that sound like yum?

Anyways here's the recipe I used if you want to try it as well:

Italian Sausage Recipe (adapted from this recipe)
Ingredients: 1 medium onion, 1 Tbs of chopped garlic. 1 Tbs sage, 1 or 2 Tbs of butter, 3/4 lbs of Italian sausage, 1 cup of sliced baby bella mushrooms, 2 cups of Arborio rice, 1 glass dry white wine, 4 cups of hot beef broth, Parmesan cheese.

1. Saute the onion and garlic in the butter and 1 Tbs of olive oil until golden.
2. Stir in sage, and add the italian sausage, squishing the meat into small bite size pieces. Sitr until the meat is cooked thoroughly on medium-high heat.
3. Add the wine, and turn the heat up a bit and cook down until most of the wine has disappeared.
4. Add the rice and turn the heat back down to simmer and stir a few minutes until the rice turns translucent.
5. Add your first ladle of broth and stir until the broth is absorbed and add another. Continue adding the broth like this for the next twenty minutes or so, until the rice is cooked but still has a bit of bite in it.
6. Serve with freshly ground pepper and a generous grating of fresh Parmesan cheese!

Bon Appetit! This makes enough for at least 4 servings, but trust me, any leftovers the next day will taste amazing!

3 comments:

  1. sorry to hear the first day of call was tough, but i know you will adjust quickly, even with a new computer system (boo). so glad you have a lovie hubs to take good care of ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The job will get better and you will be awesome...don't you worry! Truffle risotto is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete