Tuesday, September 22, 2009

lynn in love with beauty products

My posts may be a little wacky this week as I'm taking a little blog-break. However, I lined up some old draft blogposts that never made it to be published and have them scheduled to be posted each day this week. I'll see ya in a week!
------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to sort-of round up the beauty posts from last week today with some of my favorite beauty products. These are just as important if not more than the actual makeup.
Having a good canvas to work with much more important the paints you put on it. While I have to confess that I'm not so great about taking off my eye makeup all the time at night, I am a big stickler on hydration and sunscreen which are the most important components to getting good skin.

1. In the morning, right after the shower, I always put on moisturizer and let it absorb before applying makeup. Currently, I am using Estee Lauder's Re-Nutriv "Ultimate Youth Creme"

Yeah, if you look up the price, this stuff is super expensive. I got a jar from my mom for my birthday two years ago and that's the only reason I have it. I have to say however that this moisturizer is amazing. It has changed the texture of my skin, keeping it plump and hydrated while evening out the skin tone and doesn't give me breakouts. I have no idea what its properties are and how it compares to La Mer, the other expensive creme out there, but I know it works for me... much better than Oil of Olay moisturizer that I used to use. If I'm good about taking my makeup off at night, I'll put a layer on before I go to bed as well.


2. Face Cleanser - Two years ago, I converted my husband and I to Cetaphil for our face cleanser and we love it. While it is initially designed for dry skin, my husband and I both have oily skin or at least combination skin and it has done wonders to control it. My theory is that most cleansers usually overdries the skin, and then our skin overcompensates by produce more oil than necessary. This cleanser gently cleanses and leaves skin fresh and hydrated.



3. Sunscreen - I am crazy about sunscreen. A tanned face to me equals to sun damaged face which means early aging. However it is hard to find a good sunscreen that doesn't smell like pina coladas and is super sticky for everyday use. Since I"m rarely out in the sun, I'm glad that my mineral makeup does give me some minimal makeup. However I'm ever out in the sun for a longer period of time, I'll try to slather on the highest protection I can get.


Some of my favorite sunscreens:


Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock - I've been using 70, but apparently you can do SPF 100+, I don't think the SPF makes that much of a difference, but that fact that this formula is so smooth, smells clean, and absorbs and dries quickly makes it so much easier to use.


Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunblock - The same thing, but in a bottle... You get a great even spray for your face and body which is perfect when you're out a need to reapply. No goopy white messes and misapplications!




Lastly, my new favorite sunscreen for the face was introduced to me by my sister - Colorscience Sunforgettable Sunscreen Powder. This ultimate easy sunscreen to apply to the face. Based on mineral makeup, when applied this sunscreen is very water resistant and last 8 hours. You can get it in 3 different colors as well. It's so easy to use under your makeup and fairly undetectable. I used it for most of our trip to Vietnam for my face.

4. Lastly, my last but most important beauty products is water, water, water. Guys, I used to HATE water and rarely drank it. I think I must have been fairly dehydrated most of my life. However I noticed that I was getting bad headaches and my lips were incessantly dry. No amount of chapstick or emollients could remedy my dry lips. It only now that I've started drinking water that my lips are normal now. Our usual output of liquid through urine/stool output + insensible losses (sweat, fever, breathing) equals to about 2L, which is where that old adage of 8 cups of water comes from. I notice now that if I don't keep up with my water intake, my lips go to heck right away.

okay... that's it folks!! See y'all next week!

1 comment: