Wednesday, February 24, 2010

lynn in love with coconut shrimp!

Hello lovers!
Another Recipe Wednesday! I've started getting Cooking Light magazine which is chock full of yummy healthy recipes.

I made a REALLY healthy version of coconut shrimp and I think the Huz would agree we have a winner here!

coconutshrimp_001

We like our food light and tasty, but if that doesn't float your boat you can up the taste/grease factor by tons of factors (deep frying them, butter, a super decadent sauce). These are baked and perfect to us!

Coconut Shrimp (Adapted minimally from Cooking Light)

Ingredients: 1lb shrimp, 1/3 cup cornstarch, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 - 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (i used cayenne, and added alot for an extra kick!), 3 large egg whites (I only used two and it was more than enough), 1 1/2 cups of flaked sweetened coconut (I accidently got unsweetened from the bulk section and it worked out just fine). I also added a cup of breadcrumbs to my coconut!

1. Preheat oven to 400. Prepare a baking sheet with some cooking spray
2. Prepare your shrimp, peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tail intact. Rinse with cold water and set on paper towel to drain and dry
3. Combine cornstarch, red pepper, and salt with a whisk in a shallow dish.
4. Beat egg whites in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium high speed until frothy. (I used beat it with a whisk a few times, no big deal)
5. Place coconut in a shallow dish. (I added a cup of breadcrumbs as well)
6. Then working with one shrimp at a time, dredge in cornstarch mixture, then dip in egg white. Dredge in the coconut on all sides, pressing gently with fingers. Place shrimp on baking sheet. Repeat with all shrimp.
7. Lightly coat shrimp with cooking spray and bake at 400.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, turning at 10 minutes

Yummy! This turned out so light and crispy! I loved how there was very minimal oils, salt, sugar. Simple ingredients and great taste.
Serve on top of rice, or coconut rice.

The recipe also has a fab sounding salsa as well, but I didn't have to make it, but if you do, let me know how it turns out!

For the pineapple salsa: combine 1c finely chopped fresh pineapple, 1/3c finely chopped red onion, 1/4 c finely chopped fresh cilantro, 1/4c pineapple preserves, 1TBS finely chopped seeded jalapeƱo pepper, 1 1/2 TBS fresh lime juice, 1/4 tsp black pepper

2 comments: